Holy heck this is delicious! I’ve just created & devoured this tofu banh mi for dinner & have immediately sat down (after undoing my jeans button) to share the recipe with you all. You absolutely must try it. There’s a couple of time saving methods which make the recipe easy peasy so there’s no reason not to give it a whirl. Vegetarian, relatively healthy & definitely not short on flavour. Here’s how to recreate it:
INGREDIENTS (serves two):
- freshly baked baguette (the perks of living in France)
- tofu (firm)
- 1 x green chilli
- 1/2 x cucumber
- 1 x carrot
- iceberg lettuce
- EASY PEASY VEGETABLE PICKLING: leftover liquid from a 1 x large jar of pickles (the one I use has mustard seeds & pickled onions in it for extra flavour)
- EASY PEASY TOFU BANH MI SAUCE: dijon mustard, hot sauce & vietnamese/spring roll dipping sauce (to taste)
- EASY PEASY TOFU SEASONING: olive oil, salt & pepper & chilli paste (to taste)
- Prepare the vegetables, slicing the cucumber and carrot into thin strips. Next place them in a container with the leftover liquid from the jar of pickles. Ultimately the liquid should completely submerge the vegetables. If not, add additional water as required. Let marinate whilst you’re preparing the rest.
- Slice green chilli, cilantro & lemon into wedges. Set aside for garnishing.
- In a small bowl combine dijon mustard, hot sauce & vietnamese/spring roll dipping sauce to create the EASY PEASY TOFU BANH MI SAUCE. Taste & alter ratios depending on what tickles your fancy!
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, salt & pepper & chilli paste to create the EASY PEASY TOFU SEASONING.
- Drain tofu, slice into strips as desired. Place tofu in a frying pan (on medium heat) and cook in EASY PEASY TOFU SEASONING, ensuring both sides are covered. Cook for a few minutes each side, until golden brown (flipping one only).
- Cut baguette in half to create two sandwiches. Spread each with butter.
- Assemble sandwiches with pickled veggies, iceberg lettuce, tofu, cilantro & green chilli. Drizzle with EASY PEASY TOFU BANH MI SAUCE & fresh lemon.
- Devour & enjoy!
Hope you love it as much as I do!